Thursday 23 February 2012

Dear Photograph

You might have already seen or heard about this blog, but for those you who haven't it is definitely worth a look.




With the simple instructions “take a picture of a picture from the past in the present,” Dear Photograph has succeeded in immortalising heart-warming personal memories and in doing so has touched people all over the world. Photos are accompanied with short, often poignant comments which leave a lasting impression, or at least I think they do.





Aesthetically all the pictures are really interesting and they all capture a special moment in time which, I think, makes them all the more beautiful. It has given me an sudden urge to look through all my old family photos.

It also made me realise how much photography has changed in the past few decades. Even though digital cameras are much more convenient, photographs have become more trivial as a result. We tend to focus on how we look in the photo rather than on the photo itself. Instead of having one special photo which reminds us of a specific place and time, there's 30 mediocre pictures - all of which are on facebook for the world to see. Besides, there's something exciting about having to wait for photos to be developed and not knowing how they will turn out.

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree that pictures have become more trivial, it's such a shame! But I will probably still take my camera out next night out and take way too many pictures... I love your blog so far, looking forward to more posts!

    ReplyDelete